Re: Multiline plpython procedure

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Hong Yuan <hongyuan(at)homemaster(dot)cn>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiline plpython procedure
Date: 2005-01-19 03:34:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Actually universal newline support seems to be covered by the following PEP
and is present in the version of Python(2.3) I am running.
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0278.txt
I would tend to agree with Hong Yuan that the problem exists in plpythonu's
handling of newlines.

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 05:19 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> > http://docs.python.org/ref/physical.html
> >
> > "A physical line ends in whatever the current platform's convention
> > is for terminating lines. On Unix, this is the ASCII LF (linefeed)
> > character. On Windows, it is the ASCII sequence CR LF (return
> > followed by linefeed). On Macintosh, it is the ASCII CR (return)
> > character."
>
> Seems like Guido has missed a bet here: namely the case of a script
> generated on one platform and fed to an interpreter running on another.
> If I were designing it, I would say that any Python interpreter should
> take all three variants no matter which platform the interpreter itself
> is sitting on. Or is cross-platform support not a Python goal?
>
> In short, any bug report on this ought to go to the Python project.
>
> regards, tom lane

Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net