Re: plans for bitmap indexes?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plans for bitmap indexes?
Date: 2004-11-04 16:19:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Updated TODO:
>
> > * Allow the creation of bitmap indexes which can be quickly combined
> > with other bitmap indexes
>
> This TODO item description is fundamentally misleading.
>
> The point was *not* about making "bitmap indexes", which on its face
> suggests a persistent on-disk data structure comparable to our existing
> index types. The point was about using transient in-memory bitmaps as
> an interface between the on-disk indexes and accessing the table proper.

There are two separate issues --- on-disk bitmap indexes and on-the-fly
in-memory created ones. I tried to mention both but obviously it wasn't
clear. Here is new wording:

* Allow non-bitmap indexes to be combined by creating bitmaps in memory

Bitmap indexes index single columns that can be combined with other bitmap
indexes to dynamically create a composite index to match a specific query.
Each index is a bitmap, and the bitmaps are bitwise AND'ed or OR'ed to be
combined. They can index by tid or can be lossy requiring a scan of the
heap page to find matching rows.

* Allow the creation of on-disk bitmap indexes which can be quickly
combined with other bitmap indexes

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us