pg_autovacuum is nice ... but ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_autovacuum is nice ... but ...
Date: 2004-11-03 20:10:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Dave and I have been spending today trying to narrow down why things are
so slow ... using the current index.php as a test bed, since its simple
enough to debug, we removed the (require) that was at the top, and pulled
the file in directly, so that there was no 'reading from the file system'
issue involved ... still slow as molasses ... comment out the database
connections, zippy as can be ... of course, no data, since the queries
failed ... but ...

Do a vacuum full analyze on the two databases being called, and load time
went from 2.4sec to .46sec:

www# time fetch http://www.postgresql.org/index.php
fetch: http://www.postgresql.org/index.php: size of remote file is not known
index.php 24 kB 2737 kBps
0.000u 0.077s 0:00.46 15.2%

I've been able to drop Alexey's down by about half, from 5sec to 2.5sec
(based on multiple loads, the lowest I've seen is 1.91sec) ... but, at
least now when I go to look at the site in the browser, it isn't abysmally
slow, only slow ...

Random samplings on index.php for the current site, I'm getting as low as
.19sec ...

----