Re: Bug or stupidity

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug or stupidity
Date: 2004-10-26 14:24:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> > In general, when we add a backwards compatibility option, we give
> > a couple of versions before the default is changed.
> >
> Perhaps the 8.0 would be a perfect time since it's a change of the major
> number.

Maybe, but I think it'll be a hard sell without a replacement for the
delete form that works when it's off.

> > In addition, until we have a form of delete which allows a "from"
> > list, there are some queries which are really more naturally written
> > in a form similar to add_missing_from
> > (although "from" lists would be better).
> >
> Still, if the query is incorrect, I want to know about it. I don't ever

But, is the query incorrect? It does what PostgreSQL says it will.
That's not what the spec says it'll do, but the same is true of most of
the extensions, and I don't think people generally consider queries using
those as incorrect.