Re: plans for bitmap indexes?

From: Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plans for bitmap indexes?
Date: 2004-10-15 16:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom,

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:27:05AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:08:54PM +0200, Yann Michel wrote:
> >> BTW: Is there any more documented CVS-version available? I mean it would
> >> be really nice to read some comments from time to time or at least more
> >> comments about each function/method's purpose or functionality.
>
> > Huh, the code is reasonably commented. Certainly not following
> > Javadoc-like standards, but it can be read.
>
> Also, have you read the Internals volume of the SGML docs? Mostly
> pretty high-level stuff, but that's what you need to get started.
> The developer's FAQ is also required reading for newbies.
> There are also README files in various parts of the source tree that
> provide information about various sub-modules.

I have not jet been reading all of it but some of the README files. I
will keep that hint in mind but first of all I'll read something about
bitmap compression and other relevant techniques before starting to
discover the index internals of postgresql... ;-) I've been using all
kinds of functions in oracle for a long time but never had the
experience to implement any indexing strategies. The only thing I did
were some operating system extensions for minix during my os-studies
(scheduling, driver, acl etc.)

If there is anything additional/special to know further, I apreciate any
hints.

Regards and thanks,
Yann