Re: error in cygwin - please help me

From: Chip Long <chip_long(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error in cygwin - please help me
Date: 2004-10-10 05:44:10
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

This error appears to have been submitted on 24 Sep 2004, but I can't find
the solution.

I am running a fresh complete install of Cygwin as well as the download
for PostrgreSQL 7.4.5.

When I do the 'initdb -D /var/postgresql/data' I get the following result:
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "Chip".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /var/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /var/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /var/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /var/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
10
selecting default shared_buffers... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /var/postgresql/data/base/1... Signal 12

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/var/postgresql/data"

From what I read, i understand the initial 'Signal 12's are fine. But it
still doesn't install the DB. I have CYGSERVER installed and it appears
to be running correctly. I have opened all of the permissions in the
following folders in hopes of avoiding the permission error:
/var/*
/usr/*
/tmp/*

Thank you for your help!