Re: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
Date: 2004-09-18 08:57:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:55 am, Greg Stark wrote:

> What the hell? I got this message but when I check my IP in sorbs it says it's
> not there. Is something wrong with svr1.postgresql.org?
>

> Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon(at)xeocode(dot)com> writes:
>
> > This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
> >
> > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
> >
> > pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
> > SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>:
> > host svr1.postgresql.org [200.46.204.71]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host [66.11.160.162] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net

That's because the PG mail server is setup to block all mail if it can't contact SORBS.

So as the message shows, you are blocked because svr1.postgresql.org was unable to access the dnsbl.sorbs.net DNS.
It returned error 554 Service unavailable. The rbl is set to hard block all mail when it can't talk with sorbs.
Possible reason is they have had a number of DDOS attacks recently.

Regards

Russell Smith.