Re: after using pg_resetxlog, db lost

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: zhicheng wang <wang_zc(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: after using pg_resetxlog, db lost
Date: 2004-06-01 13:53:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 02:43:03PM +0100, zhicheng wang wrote:
> hi, thanks
>
> rhdb is the postgresql for redhat ELAS3
>
> it could not start and the error is attached

Your database seems completely busted. Are you running with fsync off?
IDE drives with write caching enabled? NFS or some other weirdness?

What was your procedure to shut the server down anyway? Any normal
procedure should have terminated the Postgres processes before closing
shop, althought failing to do so does not normally corrupt databases.

I assume Redhat did not produce an unreliable Postgres version!

"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to house
PhD theses." (Joey Hellerstein, SIGMOD annual conference 2002)