Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-18 06:49:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> That is the plan ... unless someone knows a reason why they can't be
> built independently of the core?

How about this one: Everything we have moved from the core to gborg so
far has been a miserable failure. The code is no longer maintained, or
maintained by three different competing groups, the documentation has
disappeared, the portability is no longer taken care of, and only the
bravest souls even dare look at the stuff. I think before you move
anything more, you need to have a strong, convincing community on the
receiving side rather than just kicking things out and hoping someone
will pick it up. Just because it can be built separately doesn't mean
everything needs to be.