Re: PostgreSQL configuration

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Date: 2004-04-12 17:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that we should move the config files from
> > pgsql/data to pgsql/data/etc. Unix config files aren't put in /,
> > they are in /etc, so this seems logical. I was never comfortable
> > with having editable files right next to files that shouldn't be
> > touched. This makes backup of the config files easier, and allows
> > for use of a symlink for the directory for those who want them. I
> > assume some will argue that the change isn't worth it.
>
> I would say that moving the configuration files even deeper into the
> data directory makes it all the more likely for people to not find them
> or be inclined to edit or delete other files nearby ("which of these
> log files can I delete"?).

My idea was that we put the config files in /data/etc, and folks are
less likely to look at the top-level directory for things to muck with.
They can look in data/etc and know exactly which files they should be
touching. Right now they see:

PG_VERSION pg_hba.conf postmaster.opts
base/ pg_ident.conf postmaster.pid
global/ pg_xlog/
pg_clog/ postgresql.conf

and it isn't clear which files to touch. After the reorganization it
would be:

PG_VERSION global/ postmaster.opts
base/ pg_clog/ postmaster.pid
etc/ pg_xlog/

and /etc would be:

pg_hba.conf pg_ident.conf postgresql.conf

which is much cleaner, I think, no?

It also makes backup of the config files easier, and you can symlink the
directory somewhere else if you want.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us