Re: Log rotation

From: Patrick Welche <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log rotation
Date: 2004-03-13 17:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 10:36:23AM -0500, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> >Ok, riddle me this:
> >
> >If I have PostgreSQL set to log to syslog facility LOCAL0, and a
> >local0.none on /var/log/messages and local0.* to /var/log/pgsql (assuming
> >only one postmaster, unfortunately) then you get a flat file.
>
> The problem is that sysloging has more overhead than a plain append to a
> file. There are some very strict response time AppServer applications
> where we want to keep this things out of the picture.

I thought it was an advantage to say "log to that box running syslog over
there and leave my disk alone" - what do you have in mind with "AppServer
applications" ?

> It may be desirable to logrotate them at different times as well, so
> they would have to be in different files.

syslogd with newsyslog, just like any other log file? I must be missing
something.. I don't see why postgresql is different..

Cheers,

Patrick