Re: Jdbc connection pooling and PG 7.4 consistently fails

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Lewis Foti <lewis(dot)foti(at)mentation(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Jdbc connection pooling and PG 7.4 consistently fails
Date: 2003-12-19 21:38:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-jdbc

On Friday 19 December 2003 04:11 pm, Kris Jurka wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Friday 19 December 2003 01:27 pm, Kris Jurka wrote:
> > > The RPMs do not have the correct jar file. Try one of those available
> > > from http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

> > At the time I put the RPMs together there were no 'stable' 7.4 jars, so I
> > grabbed the dev jars and the 7.3 jars and packaged those. The 7.4.1
> > packages will have the 7.4 jars since they are now available.

> There's always a stable version in souce form. I take it you don't have a
> java compiler handy and/or don't want to make the source rpms dependent on
> everyone having these tools available?

Mostly to let others use them without having to have a full java toolchain. I
personally need the right toolchain, but haven't gone through the steps to do
so (it's low on my list).

> in cvs. If you are unwilling/unable to compile these yourself please send
> me or another jdbc developer an email and we'll make sure you've got the
> right binaries. For now you could use http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/jars/

That would be nice. I certainly want to provide up to date jars for people.
While I've got your attention on this, where is a good place for the RPM to
place the jars that would be usable by the largest number of people?
Currently they are just plunked down and no real installation is being done.

Or, to put it a different way, how would you want to see the RPM handle the
jars? There are significant issues to deal with, but give me your wish list.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology