Japanese and PostgreSQL

From: Deibys Fernando Quintero <d_fdo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Japanese and PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-11-19 05:10:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello There ,
I hope u answer these questions:
I have installed postgresql DBMS , with SQL_ASCII
encoding, so far, it is working ok, I think I might
have probelems when manipulating the
strings(substring, lenght), but now I don't do i.
Could anyone tell me , with reasons, the best
encoding?
Also I would like to do text search, I 'd like to use
a full text search engine, Could anyone give me a hint
what
it is the best solution for japanese characters ?
I have looked at tsearch , but I am not sure.
I would appreciate any reply as soon as possible.

deibys