Re: RHEL

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RHEL
Date: 2003-11-12 00:07:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 04:03:44PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Adam Haberlach wrote:
>
> > On that note, does anyone have suggestions for which version of the
> > server I should run? I see that there are seperate binary RPMS for
> > different Linux versions, but nothing for version 3 -- should I spend some
> > time doing a full install, building, and contributing one, or is this not
> > necessary?
>
> Adam,
>
> While I still have a couple of Red Hat 7.3 boxes, I'm migrating to
> Slackware. I have found that I have much better results by building
> PostgreSQL from source than installing from rpms. It doesn't take much time
> and it has always worked for me, faster and with less hassle than trying to
> upgrade via the packages.

Well, we've got 50 or so customer boxes that we need to upgrade, so we
need the package management. I used to build my own from source, too,
and still do on my Solaris box, but I like being able to add and remove
things reliable. But to each their own.

--
Adam Haberlach | "We spent the 90's all trying to figure out
adam(at)mediariffic(dot)com | how to get email and the 00's trying to