Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-11-09 03:44:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> > How about if we add a UNION that does:
> > UNION
> > SELECT 'non-local temp schemas skipped', NULL
>
> I think showing that would only be appropriate if we actually *did* skip
> some. Finding that out would complicate the query unduly IMHO.
>
> > I see a few goals here:
> > Prevent \dn from showing lots of lines for large installs
> > Show the local temp schema so people can query it
>
> If those are agreed to be the goals then we end up with your original
> solution (or a working implementation of same anyway).
>
> I'd like to see some input from other people about what they want...

I have added this to the TODO list:

* Have psql \dn show only visible schemas using current_schemas()

I know there was talk of showing all schemas only in admin mode, but I
don't think we want to implement different behavior until we have a more
practical reason to have such a mode distiction. Of course, \dn will
have to be documented that is supresses non-visible schemas, and admins
can always do a select from pg_namespace.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us