Re: grant all to database inheritence

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: grant all to database inheritence
Date: 2003-11-01 16:37:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 16:58:50 -0500,
Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
> I have a challenge to be able to grant all to the database, and then
> have subsequent tables accessible by all users.

Granting access to a database does specifically what the documentation
says it does, which does affect the default access rights for newly
created objects.

> It seems to me that this is how a database should work. I do realize
> that postgres doesn't do this now. Is there a way around this? Using
> rules or some other mechanism?

Currently there really isn't a way to do this. You could run a cron script
that sets protections for tables on a regular schedule.

What it seems you really want is a per user or per database value that
specifies a default access mode for newly created objects roughly
similar to umask on Unix systems.