Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-10-14 00:42:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > I don't think that really answers my concern, since the sort of
> > folks who are likely to get confused by not being able to see
> > something that should be there are exactly the same ones who are not
> > likely to have turned on a non-default "power user" setting. If
> > anything, adding such a setting is likely to increase confusion
> > rather than decrease it, because people will get accustomed to
> > differing results.
>
> Or overwhelmed by bits that they shouldn't be exposed to...
>
> > I'm not dead set on this, and will concede gracefully if there's a
> > consensus that we should change \dn's behavior. I'm just trying to
> > make the point that it's a decision with pluses and minuses, not a
> > no-brainer improvement.
>
> *nods* Though I do think that masking pg_temp_* would be useful as
> I've never seen a need to look inside of a pg_temp_* schema. Someone
> running with -E would quickly pick up that pg_temp_* is filtered from
> the results.
>
> I have a machine with over 1K persistent connections and over 1K
> pg_temp_* entries... I've been running with the patch submitted
> earlier and it cuts down on the visual noise/unnecessary info
> considerably. Switching between DBA mode and a data consumer with \P
> sounds pretty appealing to me and would be something I'd be interested
> in doing the leg work for. Changing the prompt would probably be good
> from a UI perspective and adding the necessary logic so that if the
> connecting user had DBA privs, it'd run in a power user mode instead
> of the normal data consumer mode.

If you see a pg_temp_* for every connection, that is a little
overwhelming. pg_toast and stuff aren't really too bad. Is there any
way to access your local temp schema in a way that doesn't show the
others? Could we use backend_pid in the query and show them only their
own?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us