Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-10-13 19:57:05
Lists: pgsql-general

> > This implementation detail really annoys me when using psql. The
> > attached patch fixes \dn to not show pg_temp_*. Any chance
> > someone could apply this? -sc
>
> What have you got against pg_temp?

What value does it provide to have it shown in a \dn listing? Temp
tables are globally visible across schemas and there's no point to
looking inside of a temp schema that isn't a proc's temp schema.

> If we think \dn shouldn't show those schemas, shouldn't it suppress
> *all* system schemas, including pg_catalog and pg_toast? Maybe
> information_schema as well?

There is only one pg_catalog, pg_toast, and information_schema schema.
Those schemas yield useful information that can only be fetched via
their respective schemas. pg_temp_* doesn't meet this criteria since
pg_temp_*'s tables are visible outside of their schema. Why wouldn't
you want to hide pg_temp_*?

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden