Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
To: shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in (Shridhar Daithankar)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date: 2003-10-09 00:03:19
Lists: pgsql-general

> One of my friend lost data with mysql yesterday.. The machine was taken down for
> disk upgrade and mysql apperantly did not commit the last insert.. OK he was
> using myisam but still..:-)

It sounds like that is more a problem with improper operating protocols
than with the underlying database.

Would PG know enough to do a commit regardless of how the database was
shut down? A second question is whether doing a commit is what the user
or application would always want to have happen, as it could result in a
half-completed transaction.
--
Mike Nolan