Re: State of Beta 2

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>, Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-18 16:22:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:

> > Huh? I have no disagreement that upgrading is a key feature that we are
> > lacking ... but, if there are any *on disk* changes between releases, how
> > do you propose 'in place upgrades'?
>
> RTA. It's been hashed, rehashed, and hashed again. I've asked twice if
> eRserver can replicate a 7.3 database onto a 7.4 server (or a 7.2 onto a
> 7.3); that question has yet to be answered.

'K, I had already answered it as part of this thread when I suggested
doing exactly that ... in response to which several ppl questioned the
feasibility of setting up a duplicate system with >1TB of disk space to do
the replication over to ...

See: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-09/msg00886.php