Re: R駱.

From: Stuart Woodward <woodward(at)garage(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: R駱.
Date: 2003-09-10 09:26:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:50:02 +0200
"Erwan DUROSELLE" <EDuroselle(at)seafrance(dot)fr> wrote:

> This is much faster (x17 in my simple test) than without the begin/end,
> which will result in 1 transaction per insert.

I have to agree that is is the way to go. One of my colleagues went as
far as writing a Perl script that inserted the transaction code around X
number of operations. (Sorry I don't have that script now.)

What I would like to know is, how can you determine the optimum number
of lines to surround with a transaction? I guess at some point Postgres
will run out of memory or disk space if too many operations are done
within a single transaction.

It would be nice to have a rule of thumb to calculate roughly how many
operations to group together but I guess that this is almost impossible
to calculate.

Also, the bigger the dump the harder it is to edit by hand so you may
need to develop a script to do this at some point.