Revoke access on pg_user

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)lurza(dot)secnetix(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Revoke access on pg_user
Date: 2003-09-02 15:54:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

By default, all users can find out what other users exist,
by looking at pg_user (which is a view on pg_shadow). For
privacy reasons I would like to disable that.

So I tried this: REVOKE ALL ON pg_user FROM PUBLIC;
which was acknowledged by the word "REVOKE", and there was
no error message. But it doesn't have any effect. All
users can still perform SELECT on pg_user and see everyone.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards
Oliver

PS: I'm using 7.3.4 on FreeBSD 4.8, if that matters.

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
-- Bertrand Meyer