Re: SELECT woes

From: Rasputin <rasputin(at)idoru(dot)mine(dot)nu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT woes
Date: 2003-09-02 10:16:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

* Kevin Waterson <kevin(at)oceania(dot)net> [0952 09:52]:
> This one time, at band camp, Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org> wrote:
>
> > Yuck.
> >
> > My suggestion would be to install the tsearch or tsearch2 module, and
> > modify the on-insert trigger to include the contents of all the fields
> > in your table. There are examples in the tsearch readme, but you can
> > set the trigger on multiple columns. Then that query would probably be
> > very fast and would turn into
> > select * from table where master_idx ## 'my|name|is|bill'
> > You can also do more powerful levels of grouping and boolean logic.
> > Jeff
> > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 02:51 AM, Kevin Waterson wrote:
>
> Then it would not be compatible with other databases.

True,
but I don't think there is an standard SQL way of doing what you want.

The alternative would be to fidn all rows that contain 'bill'
and then have your application dump the ones that don't contain the other
words - that would be more portable but is really clanky, and
adds complexity to the client.

--
An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.