Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, EG <EG(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...
Date: 2003-07-21 15:09:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joe Conway wrote:
> > PS: Has anyone looked any further at the SQL-MED standard? ISTM that's
> > where we ought to head in the long run.
>
> I think for that very reason (SQL-MED) we need to come to terms with
> this issue. If/when connections to external data sources is in the
> backend, you'll have those exact same dependencies. And in fact, we do
> today: consider '--with-openssl' or '--with-tcl'.
>
> I had always assumed we would need '--with-oracle', '--with-jdbc', etc
> (or whatever you want to call them) to support backend connections to
> external sources. And this discussion is the very reason I was hesitant
> to pursue dblink_ora or jdbclink now, because I didn't think people
> would be comfortable with configure options to support a contrib library.

I know we normally require a configure flag to look for special
capabilities, like ssl, but I thought we could skip that because it was
a /contrib and just look by default, but I now see that people don't
want to take that step.

I thought dblink was too integrated in the backend code to be a separate
project.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us