Re: UPDATE has a bug to update tables with an index of 2 columns

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andreas Schmitz <andreas(dot)schmitz(at)as-dataservice(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATE has a bug to update tables with an index of 2 columns
Date: 2003-05-16 22:57:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Friday 16 May 2003 21:46, Andreas Schmitz wrote:

> Please enter a FULL description of your problem:
>
> Short: UPDATE has a bug to update tables with an index of 2 columns
(...)
> update test2 set v2=v2+2;
> ERROR: Duplizierter Wert kann nicht in »Unique«-Index uq_test
> eingefügt werden

-> "Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index uq_test"

I would contend this is not a bug but a feature (or at most
not-yet-implemented functionality, i.e. no ability to defer
constraints other than foreign keys).

A possible workaround would be to create a trigger which
enforces the constraint.

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net