Re: jdbc problem

From: "milimeter(at)163(dot)com" <milimeter(at)163(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc problem
Date: 2003-04-24 03:06:30
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thank you, Barry

You know, I have to work with oracle and postgresql at the same time now. In
company, I have to use oracle, and at home, I will use postgresql to develop
application. So I hope my java codes can work anywhere (other coworker only
use oracle, so I have to adapt all postgresql features to be fit to oracle).

Now, someone wrote a code line as:
ResultSet rs = .....
int age = rs.getInt("age"); //here, feild "age" is a char(4) type
The above codes can work well on oracle jdbc driver, but on postgresql, not
work, because if age is 20, then in database it's "20 " but no "20". The
reason is that jdbc driver of oracle automaticlly trim the returned result
string; but postgresql not. There's so many places in codes of my company
where get an integer from a char(...) feild, I can't change them all. So I
hope jdbc driver of postgresql can also do it.

Another problem when programming jdbc codes:
"INSERT INTO person VALUES ('100')" //here, the field is an integer, but I
insert as a string
The above SQL can work well on both oracle and postgresql, but:
"INSERT INTO person VALUES ('')"
can work only on oracle but not work on postgresql. On oracle, a default
value will be inserted, but postgresql will report an error.

I hope I have expressed myself clearly. If I can't, it's my fault.

Thank you very much,
mili

在 星期四 24 四月 2003 10:50,您写道: