Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 02:24:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Kevin, without the "e", wrote...
> I seriously think the native Win32 port of Postgres will make a big
> difference, because it'll be a SQL Server killer. Especially if it
> comes with a nice administrative GUI. :-)

I wouldn't be too sanguine about that, from two perspectives:

a) There's a moving target, here, in that Microsoft seems to be
looking for the next "new thing" to be the elimination of
the use of "files" in favor of the filesystem being treated
as a database.

b) We recently were considering how we'd put a sharable Windows box
in, at the office. Were considering using VNC to allow it to be
accessible. Then someone thought to read the license, only to
discover that the license pretty much expressly forbids running
"foreign, competing applications" on the platform.

It seems pretty plausible that the net result of further development
will be platforms that are actively hostile to foreign software.

If I suggested that the licensing of Win2003 would expressly forbid
installing PostgreSQL, people would rightly accuse me of being a
paranoid conspiracy theorist.

But considering that the thought of VNC being outlawed would have seemed
pretty daft a few years ago, and we see things like DMCA combining with
"Homeland Security." Anti-"hacking" provisions have been going into
telecom laws that appear to classify network hardware that can do NAT as
"illegal hacking" equipment. I'm not sure what we'd have to consider
"daft" come 2005...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html