Re: how to configure my new server

From: Seth Robertson <pgsql-performance(at)sysd(dot)com>
To: eric soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to configure my new server
Date: 2003-02-07 00:23:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

In message <137343446(dot)1167578047(at)[4(dot)42(dot)179(dot)151]>, eric soroos writes:

As a somewhat on topic thought, it would be really neat to have a
pci card that was one slot for ram, one for compact flash, a
memory/ide controller and battery. Fill the ram and cf with
identical sized units, and use it as a disk for WAL. if the power
goes off, dump the ram to cf. Should be able to do thousands of
writes per sec, effectivley moving the bottleneck somewhere else.
It's probably $20 worth of chips for the board, but it would
probably sell for thousands.

How is this not provided by one of the many solid state disks?

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd.html

I have never puchased one of these due to cost ($1 per MB or more) but
I always assumed this was a direct fit. The solid state disk people
claim so as well on their marketing literature. One of the drives
claims 700MB/s bandwidth.

-Seth Robertson
pgsql-performance(at)sysd(dot)com