Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database

From: Ragnar Kjørstad <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Miles <chris_pg002(at)psychofx(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database
Date: 2002-10-12 16:34:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 12:26:51PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Load testing is not the issue here; crash testing is. Try pulling the
> power plug on your NFS box while the database is under load. If you
> can do that repeatedly and not suffer database corruption, then maybe
> you have a safe setup. Be sure to try the case of NFS crash immediately
> after a CHECKPOINT.

If pulling the plug causes database-corruption that proves that there is
something wrong with NFS-setup, but if it _doesn't_ cause
database-corruption that doesn't prove that it's safe - it could be that
you're just lucky.

This should be obvious, but I've seen too many people argument like
"I've tested it twice and it didn't break so it must be safe".

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage