Re: Oracle beats up on Open Source Database(s) ... and

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder" <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle beats up on Open Source Database(s) ... and
Date: 2002-10-03 19:07:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 16:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > Just in case anyone enjoys these sorts of things :) It deals with the
> > whole .org TLD assignment ...
> >
> > http://forum.icann.org/org-eval/gartner-report
>
> I like this one:
>
> | Unlike many of the conventional commercial databases, PostgreSQL has
> | offered advanced Object Relational capabilities for years, including
> | inheritance. Ms. Gelhausen is quite correct that these are important
> | capabilities, finally available with the release of Oracle9i. We
> | applaud Oracle's continued efforts to close the gap and stay
> | competitive with this, and other open source database features.

Yes, I found the thread assuming. Here are the choice parts from the
Oracle posting:

> PostgreSQL, like many other open source database products, has been in
> the market for many years with very little adoption. Unlike the

Oh, someone should tell our huge user base.

> open-source operating system market, the open-source database market has

"We support Linux, so I can't bad mouth open-source OS's."

> been unsuccessful due to the complexity of customer requirements and
> sophistication of the technology needed. PostgreSQL is used primarily

Fear-uncertainty-doubt. "Express it as fact and people will belive it."

> in the embedded system market because it lacks the transactional
> features, high availability, security and manageability of any
> commercial enterprise database.

He is confusing us with MySQL. "Oh, they are all the same; doesn't
matter."

[ Quotes of lots of stuff PostgreSQL has had for years that Oracle just
added recently. Is he trying to make Oracle look good? ]

> While there is a place in the industry for open source software. It
> will be many years, if ever, that an open source database matches
> Oracle's database technology for the availability, standards support,
> performance, manageability, security, application support, and stability
> that most real-world business applications require.

Fear-uncertainty-doubt (FUD).

> thank you.
> Jenny Gelhausen
> Oracle Marketing