Re: Proposal: Solving the "Return proper effected tuple

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Steve Howe <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Solving the "Return proper effected tuple
Date: 2002-09-09 04:53:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Steve Howe wrote:

> Here are the proposals for solutioning the "Return proper effected
> tuple count from complex commands [return]" issue as seen on TODO.
>
> Any comments ?... This is obviously open to voting and discussion.

As it seems we're voting, I think Tom's scheme is about as good
as we'll do for the current API. I actually think that a better API
is a good idea, but it's an API change and we're in beta, so not
for 7.3.

I'm not 100% sure which of the PQcmdTuples behaviors makes sense (actually
I'm pretty sure neither do, but since the general complaint is knowing
whether something happened or not, sum gets around the last statement
doing 0 rows and running into the same type of problem).