Re: stupid Q regarding "UPDATE waiting"

From: cm(at)coretec(dot)at (Christian Mock)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Subject: Re: stupid Q regarding "UPDATE waiting"
Date: 2002-08-28 10:38:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:08:17PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > hangs until the first transaction is done; the related postgres process
> > shows as "UPDATE waiting" in ps.
>
> Do you have referential integrity on any of these? That's the usual
> suspect in these cases.

I see. One of the tables that are inserted into in the long-running
transaction references the table that gets updated in the "UPDATE waiting"
transaction. But the referencing column is always NULL on import.

Does that mean that there's a table-level lock? Can I get around this?

regards,

cm.
--
Christian Mock Wiedner Hauptstrasse 15