Re: Open 7.3 issues

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 issues
Date: 2002-08-16 04:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Socket permissions - only install user can access db by default
> > unix_socket_permissions in postgresql.conf
>
> This is dead.

Removed, still on TODO.

> > glibc and mktime() - fix?
>
> Leave it be. If someone really needs time information from before 1970
> (and who does?) he wouldn't use an OS that doesn't support it anyway.
> There are several platforms that don't have complete time information
> before 1947 and we've lived with those, too.

Removed. Added to TODO.

> > ecpg and bison issues - solved?
>
> A release is cooking. 1.49b was released just a few days ago. Assuming
> that it is sane and no final release comes out before beta, we might ship
> our beta built with their beta and coordinate with them to make a final
> release during our beta. It's a bit risky, but the more testing we can
> provide to them the faster they will get a release out.

We will see...

> > fix BeOS and QNX4 ports
> >
> > Should we ship 7.3 without these ports?
>
> Porters usually appear during beta.

Well, we don't really want porting fixes during beta unless we can help
it. ;-)

> > integrate or remove new libpqxx
> > integrate or add to gborg Pg:DBD
> >
> > Seems like gborg is the place for these.
>
> I would volunteer to package libpq++ separately.
>
> > move pg_resetxlog and pg_controldata to main tree, add -f flag
> >
> > That is me. I will get to it.
>
> What does -f do?

There is concern that using pg_resetxlog by accident could cause
problems, so it will prompt the user for confirmation by default. -f
(force) disables that confirmation.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us