Re: Fortran functions?

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Clive Page <cgp(at)nospam(dot)le(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fortran functions?
Date: 2002-07-17 13:49:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 05:07 am, Clive Page wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> wrote:
> >Has anyone here successfully used Fortran functions in PostgreSQL using
> > g77 as the compiler?

> As others have posted, one obvious route is via C wrappers. If this looks
> complicated, there is a package which may help, called cfortran.h
> Details on this website: http://www-zeus.desy.de/~burow/cfortran/

Yes, people have been pretty helpful in the general case, but this 'package'
:-) may make life easier. And that's why I asked before attempting it --
someone likely has been there before, let's see what problems and tricks they
found.

When I get to this project (I have to get all the functions I need to compile
under g77 first, and there's ~250,000 lines of quite baroque VAX Fortran
source to go through, and then I need to properly specify the interface in a
way that named COMMON's won't be required, as well as making sure the
functions used don't require passing values back by side effect -- quite a
bit of work before I get to the PostgreSQL side of things), I'll let people
know how it went.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio