Re: Redhat/glibc and postgre time "bug"

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rasmus Resen Amossen <rresena(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redhat/glibc and postgre time "bug"
Date: 2002-07-09 15:10:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 08 July 2002 02:08 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Rasmus Resen Amossen wrote:
> > There has been quite a few mails on the misoperation in date values
> > before the epoc on RH7.3 and pgsql7.2.1 (something with glibc).

> No, no fix yet. We had hoped that since May glibc folks would have
> addressed it, but it seems not. We are left working around it
> ourselves.

The glibc people do not consider this a bug in mktime(3), as they are
following the patently broken 'standard'. Red Hat 7.3 included portions of a
prerelease glibc -- patched in to place, and not the official glibc that
could be downloaded.

Red Hat also does not consider mktime(3) to now be broken.

Having said that, a patch for this exists in the current Rawhide. I am loath
to include such in an 'official' RPMset for many reasons.

Can configure simply test for a 'standard' mktime(3) (standard = broken) for
ANY target, and set options accordingly? This would simplify things -- there
are a few other systems with this behavior.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio