Re: Indexing Views

From: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)empires(dot)org>
To: "sid(at)questions(dot)com" <sbhatt(at)installs(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexing Views
Date: 2002-07-04 09:10:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> I am storing intermediate results in a view and then using this view for
> further processing, is it possible to index views in Postgres, if so how?
> Any help will be much appreciated.

I don't think it's possible to store anything at all in a view. A view is just
a query-rewriting rule that can report data from existing tables, as if the
view was a table itself (but a view isn't a table).

Put proper indexes on the tables that are involved in the view and it should
work fine. If you're getting poor performance, report the output of EXPLAIN
for your query and maybe someone can help you optimize the query (or maybe
even make the planner better).

Regards,
Jeff