Re: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle stability

From: Juan Jose Comellas <juanjo(at)comellas(dot)org>
To: hyldgaard(at)hotmail(dot)com (Thomas Hyldgaard)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle stability
Date: 2002-07-03 16:46:38
Lists: pgsql-general

I am not terribly experienced on this matter, but we have implemented several
systems using Oracle 8.0.5, DB2 UDB 7.2 and using PostgreSQL 7.1.3. All of
them are running under Linux, and until this moment I have found that under
Linux, PostgreSQL is more stable than both Oracle 8.0.5 and DB2 7.2, is far
easier to administrate and the performance is very good. The most important
drawbacks we've encountered are:

1) The need to run VACUUM regularly (this is not much of an issue with
PostgreSQL 7.2.1 because it doesn't lock the tables), especially if you are
doing a lot of UPDATEs.

2) Postgres' query optimizer is not as smart as Oracle's or DB2's, so we
needed to write the queries in ways that would allow Postgres to optimize
them so that we could reach a performance similar to Oracle's. We found out
that Postgres does not handle SELECT ... IN ... queries very well, so we had
to rewrite them in ways that were not as straightforward.

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 09:59, Thomas Hyldgaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering porting code from Oracle to PostgreSql. I'm looking
> for opinions from people that are experienced with both PostgreSQL and
> Oracle:
>
> 1) Is the stability better, equal or worse when comparing Oracle 9i?
> 2) Are there any performance issues to be aware of when comparing
> PostgreSql an d Oracle (on the same hardware configuration) - eg. size
> of table colums, count of records in tables (and indexes).
> 3) And how about the work for DB administrators - are things simpler
> or more complicated?
>
> Best regards
> Thomas

Juan Jose Comellas