Re: help with *mysql*

From: Gregory Seidman <gss+pg(at)cs(dot)brown(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help with *mysql*
Date: 2002-05-07 01:05:55
Lists: pgsql-general

pilsl(at)goldfisch(dot)at sez:
} my nightmare is coming true: I need to port a whole CMS from postgres to
} mysql. I just started taking the first looks on mysql and all seems so
} wrong ;)

Yup. I am in the process of migrating my company's web backend from mysql
to postgresql because I couldn't stand the limitations on the SQL I could
write. I kept having to escape to a procedural language for things that can
be done in standard SQL.

[...]
} and the reason for all this is, that all this cheep providers offer
} mysql and all customers think, hey : this provider is 100USD less per
} month and offer 100.000 emailaliases. I tried to mention "transaction"
} and "sql-standard" but they only stared at me ...

Yup, we are in the process of moving to a host provider who only provides
mysql. My solution? I'm running my own postgresql DB, with the host's
blessing (but not support). It might be worth your while to do the same.
You might even be able to make the argument to management that the money
saved by not wasting your time porting to another (painfully limited) DB
can be spent on a support contract for PostgreSQL.

} thnx,
} peter
--Greg