FAQ -- 'cache lookup failed' still a puzzle

From: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FAQ -- 'cache lookup failed' still a puzzle
Date: 2002-03-13 15:03:04
Lists: pgsql-general

i have been dropping and creating things left and right, so
something's referring to an old version of something that's been
redefined. how can i find it? [and if there's a better paradigm
to use in p7.1 i'd love to hear it. :) ]

here's what i've tried:

after looking over the info at

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/errors.php#plpgsqlinit_fcache

i figured i'd solve my problem:

db> update prop_ set year=1961 where id=1;
ERROR: fmgr_info: function 1528806: cache lookup failed

i've not done any upgrading for about a year--

$ psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.1
contains readline, history, multibyte support

but i have been hammering away at my schema, dropping and
creating functions, tables, views, and rules (no triggers aside
from the behind-the-scenes ones like 'references' in table
definitions).

i've got a table _prop with a view prop_ which i use to
intercept inserts and updates via the postgres rule system.

so, taking the lead from the techdocs above, i looked for
functions used in the rule -- there are two:

create rule prop_edit as
on update to prop_
do instead (
update _prop set
props_id = NEW.props_id,

-- FUNCTION CALL NUMBER ONE:
vin_rev = store_vin( NEW.vin ),

year = NEW.year,
make = NEW.make,
model = NEW.model,
stages_id = NEW.stages_id,
license = NEW.license,
license_st = NEW.license_st,
exterior = NEW.exterior,
interior = NEW.interior,
usage = NEW.usage,
conditions_id = NEW.conditions_id,
at = current_timestamp,
who = NEW.who -- $USER->{id}
where
id = OLD.id;

-- FUNCTION CALL NUMBER TWO:
select stage_change(OLD.stages_id,NEW.stages_id,OLD.id);
-- percolate charges up to ACCT record

insert into _changes (
tbl,
ref,
what,
at,
who
) values (
'prop',
OLD.id,
'u',
current_timestamp,
NEW.who
);
);

the first function, store_vin(varchar), calls no other
user-defined functions:

DECLARE
sz INTEGER;
ix INTEGER;
s VARCHAR;
c CHAR;
BEGIN
IF $1 IS NULL THEN
RETURN NULL;
END IF;
sz := CHAR_LENGTH($1);
s := '';
FOR ix IN 1 .. sz LOOP
c := SUBSTR( $1, ix, 1 );
IF NOT ( c = ' ' ) THEN
c := UPPER( c );
IF ( c = 'O' ) THEN -- oh
c := '0'; -- zero
END IF;
IF ( c = 'I' ) THEN -- eye
c := '1'; -- one
END IF;
s := c || s ; -- reverse it
END IF;
END LOOP;
RETURN SUBSTR( s, 1, 17 );
END;

it calls builtins char_length, substr and upper. no user-defined
functions are called.

and the same is true for the second function,
stage_change(int,int,int):

DECLARE
old_stg ALIAS FOR $1;
new_stg ALIAS FOR $2;
p_id ALIAS FOR $3;
BEGIN
IF old_stg < 1 OR new_stg < 1 THEN
RETURN 0;
END IF;
IF old_stg IS null AND new_stg = 1 THEN
update _prop set ASSIGNED = current_date where id = p_id;
return 1;
ELSE
IF old_stg < 2 AND new_stg = 2 THEN
update _prop set RESOLVED = current_date where id = p_id;
RETURN 2;
ELSE
if old_stg < 3 and new_stg = 3 then
UPDATE _prop SET DONE = current_date WHERE id = p_id;
RETURN 3;
END IF;
END IF;
END IF;
RETURN 0;
END;

the rule that intercepts 'insert' works like a charm -- and the
primary difference is that the 'update' rule (above) calls
stage_change() where the create rule doesn't need to -- so i
thought that might be the culprit:

db> select stage_change(0,1,1);
stage_change
0
(1 row)

so it's not. or at least it's got *me* convinced, anyhow.

so what's the next thing to investigate? i have been dropping and

--
"We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them on the
sons of beaches" -- Miguel Churchill, Winston's bastard Mexican

will(at)serensoft(dot)com