Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: mkscott(at)sacadia(dot)com, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Haroldo Stenger <hstenger(at)adinet(dot)com(dot)uy>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date: 2002-02-08 17:15:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:17:51AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> <mkscott(at)sacadia(dot)com> writes:
> > I can definitely take a stab aat it. Maybe I can make a test case with
> > some globals that are accessed often submit some patches to see what
> > people think. Can I send them to you?
>
> I have a sneaking feeling that what you are going to come up with is a
> multi-megabyte patch to convert CurrentMemoryContext into a non-global,
> which will require changing the parameter list of damn near every
> routine in the backend.

Sorry I not too careful watch this discussion, but if I see that
you are talking about PostgreSQL memory management and threads I have
have a note.

I and Dan Horak one year work on Mape project (http://mape.jcu.cz) and
we already have ported good postgres memory management into thread daemon.
It works very well and it's transparend solution -- you not must rewrite
routines that use MamoryContextSwitchTo or palloc() and other stuff,
because everything is based on thread-specific contexts (see man about
pthread_key_create). With this solution you not must change to much
things in current code.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>