Checking out files during an update

From: Sanjay Bhatia <sbix(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Checking out files during an update
Date: 2002-01-08 22:03:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I'm trying to streamline one of our processes that checks out files from CVS
and compiles them. I'd like to avoid locking by using the 'checkout -D' flag
and specify the current time. Since the number of files is huge, the checkout
process takes about 20 minutes.

My question is, what happens if someone checks in a new version of a file that
is currently being checked out by my command. Example - suppose I am checking
out foo.c Version 1.1 and while it's giving me the file, someone checks in a
newer version of that file? Does the checkout process lock the file?

Thanks,
sb