Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com, girgen(at)partitur(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different
Date: 2001-11-18 14:17:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> IIRC, we were debating whether we should consider collation to be an
> attribute of the datatype (think typmod) or an attribute of individual
> values (think field added to values of textual types). In the former
> case, a function like this would only work if we allowed its result to
> be declared as having the right collate attribute. Which is not
> impossible, but we don't currently associate any typmod with function
> arguments or results, and so I'm not sure how painful it would be.
> With the field-in-data-value approach it's easy to see how it would
> work. But another byte or word per text value might be a high price
> to pay ...

I think the price is not so high. To give the collation info to text
data types, it's enough to store the info in the
pg_attribute. ie. only additional several bytes per column are
required, not per instance. Of course we would need to add some extra
bytes to the in-memory string data, it's just a temporary data anyway.
--
Tatsuo Ishii