Re: Database corruption?

From: "Dr(dot) Evil" <drevil(at)sidereal(dot)kz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database corruption?
Date: 2001-10-31 01:42:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Perhaps we should reconsider the notion of keeping CRC checksums on
> > data pages. Not sure what we could do to defend against bad RAM,
> > however.
>
> Good idea.

I third that. Machines are very fast today. Reliability is vastly
more important than speed in many cases. Let's say that CRC
introduces a 20% slowdown (which is probably an overstatement). This
means that, to get the same speed, we will have to spend 20% more on
the hardware. Let's say that this is a top-end server, so we have to
spend $12k instead of $10k. Is $2k worth it for better data
reliability? Absolutely! No question about it.