Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE

From: "Albert REINER" <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: PostgreSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE
Date: 1999-10-23 07:18:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi!

Every couple of days I run "vacuum analyze" on every db on my system
(from a shell script). Now there is one small database (two tables,
one SQL-function) where I get the following (in psql):

> albert(at)frithjof:/home/albert > psql
> Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
> Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
> [PostgreSQL 6.5.1 on i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.1]
>
> type \? for help on slash commands
> type \q to quit
> type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
> You are currently connected to the database: albert
>
> albert=> vacuum;
> VACUUM
> albert=> vacuum analyze;
> NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
> We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible. Terminating.

I.e., I can VACUUM, but I cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE. Why should analyze
do an ABORT? By the way, I do not notice any strange behavior with
this database, and pg_dump works fine on it.

Any ideas what might be at fault and how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Albert.

Albert Reiner <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Deutsch * English * Esperanto * Latine