PSQL SELECT Question.

From: "Lawrenzo D'Wolcoto" <bigdog(at)pitnet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PSQL SELECT Question.
Date: 1999-02-11 23:29:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello everyone!

Heres my question:

I am using JDBC to connect to Postgres, and create a query. The ResultSet
returned by the query contains MetaData about the table. I am using this
table information to build a map of the table.

I need to know how to retrieve an table, with NO rows, or alternativly, just
1 single row (even if more rows exist in the table). ie:

SELECT * TOP 1 FROM TABLE //This does the trick in MS Access
SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE ROWNUM <= 1 //This works in Oracle?

I need to know how to do this in STANDARD SQL. I would actually prefer
getting NO rows from my query. I remember seeing something like:

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE FALSE //This was someones proprietary QL to
provide en empty table (what I would like)

Anyone have any ideas?
Also, I need to know how to do this *WITHOUT* any information about the
coulmns in the table. No names, no keys, nothing. yikes.

PS. Please copy directly to my email, because I am not subscribed to the
majordomo.

Thanks!

Larry Wolcott
bigdog(at)pitnet(dot)net