Re: Fixed length data types issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, andrew(at)supernews(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixed length data types issue
Date: 2006-09-08 16:57:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> AFAICT, most of the useful operations work on UChar, which is uint16:
>> http://icu.sourceforge.net/apiref/icu4c/umachine_8h.html#6bb9fad572d65b30=
> 5324ef288165e2ac

> Oh, you're confusing UCS-2 with UTF-16,

Ah, you're right, I did misunderstand that. However, it's still
apparently the case that ICU works mostly with UTF16 and handles other
encodings only via conversion to UTF16. That's a pretty serious
mismatch with our needs --- we'll end up converting to UTF16 all the
time. We're certainly not going to change to using UTF16 as the actual
native string representation inside the backend, both because of the
space penalty and incompatibility with tools like bison.