Re: Proposal: Solving the "Return proper effected tuple count

From: Steve Howe <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Solving the "Return proper effected tuple count
Date: 2002-09-09 03:37:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Bruce,

Monday, September 9, 2002, 12:22:26 AM, you wrote:

BM> Steve Howe wrote:
>> JC> return OID if sum of all replacement INSERTs in the rule inserted
>> JC> only one row, else zero
>> I don't agree with this one since it would lead us to a meaningless
>> information... what would be the number retrieved ? Not an OID, nor
>> nothing.

BM> I don't understand this objection.
I misunderstood Joe's statement into thinking we wanted to sum the
OIDs for all INSERT commands applied :)
Please ignore this.
But now that I read it again, I would prefer having at least one OID
for the last inserted row. With this info, I would be able to refresh
my client dataset to reflect the new inserted rows.

I see returning 0 if multiple INSERT commands issued is as weird as
returning some OID if multiple INSERT commands issued. But the second
options is usable, while the first one is useless... So I would prefer
retrieving the last inserted OID.

Best regards,
Steve Howe mailto:howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org