Contribute to the development of PostgreSQL

From: gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Contribute to the development of PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-11-04 10:26:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Folks,

Sometime ago I posted a message regarding learning to develop and
contribute to the development of PostgreSQL. I started my journey with
downloading the sources and take a look at the bits and pieces of the
code. As I was expecting it to be, my journey was and still is ponderous
one. I can image the same for other newbie’s like myself and the fact that
some like myself come from a windows development world than *nix.

Therefore I was thinking to build a website concerning a "how to
contribute and develop to PostgreSQL".

The idea is to show the following:

1. How to configure the compiler tools for windows and *nix
2. How to make changes, compile and debug
3. Where to start the learning curve in the source code.
4. If requested by any to document the code as I advance.
5. etc.. etc..

I would like to hear your opinion and whether anyone is interested in
helping.

Regards,
Gevik.