Re: Script to compute random page cost

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, nickf(at)ontko(dot)com, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ray Ontko <rayo(at)ontko(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Script to compute random page cost
Date: 2002-09-10 14:09:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I will run it some more tomorrow but clearly we are
> seeing reasonable numbers now.

... which still have no provable relationship to the ratio we need to
measure. See my previous comments to Curt; I don't think you can
possibly get trustworthy results out of a shell script + dd approach,
because we do not implement Postgres using dd.

If you implemented a C testbed and then proved by experiment that the
shell script got comparable numbers, then I'd believe its results.
Without that confirmation, these are just meaningless numbers.