Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Date: 2006-06-22 18:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org> writes:
> Jochem van Dieten wrote:
>> make the session handler smarter? And if you can't do that, put some
>> logic in the session table that turns an update without changes into a
>> no-op?

> err isnt that one the job of the database?

No. That idea has been suggested and rejected before. Detecting that
an UPDATE is a no-op would require a significant number of cycles, and
in most applications, most or all of the time those cycles would be
wasted effort. If you have a need for this behavior, you can attach a
BEFORE UPDATE trigger to a table that checks for all-fields-the-same and
suppresses the update. I don't think that should be automatic though.